F#$! it Dude. If you are over the age of 25 and you even remotely have your finger on the pulse of what is a good movie, then you’ve already seen The Big Lebowski. This Limited Edition BluRay version does not sport much in the way of new extras (yes, I own 2 previous versions of this movie on DVD – and each one was purchased specifically for it’s extra features). Don’t get me wrong, it does have extras, there is just not that much more on here that has not been previously released on past DVDs. Of course the movie itself is beautiful on BluRay, so my true recommendation is to say “F#&! it, Dude, buy it anyways.”
Features that we have seen before; and this WOULD be a valid reason to have this (they are now all together on one disc):
- Jeff Bridges Photo Book: Exclusive shots taken on the set of The Big Lebowski by Jeff Bridges himself.
- The Dude’s Life: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro take a look back at their performances and their delivery of the Coen Brothers’ dialogue that became classic movie lines.
- The Dude Abides- The Big Lebowski Ten Years Later: A conversation with the cast about the film’s cult classic status.
- Flying Carpets and Bowling Pin Dreams- The Dream Sequences of the Dude: Featurette on the making of the surreal sequences in the film.
- The Making of The Big Lebowski
- The Lebowski Fest- An Achiever’s Story: An in-depth look at the popular Lebowski Festival, formed by the legion of fans in honor of the film.
- An Introduction: Featuring Mortimer Young.
- Photo Gallery
- Interactive Map (this is by far one of my favorite extra features; you can actually click a location and it will “zoom” in to where that scene was filmed.
Limited Edition BluRay? What makes it a limited edition? What won’t it come with in the future? Well.. The case itself is adorned with the artwork that you see in the feature image as posted above, the back is an image of The Dude’s Rug. It’s actually pretty cool; but you also have within what Universal is calling a “Digibook” – a 28 page book that features stills from the production, quotes, an interview with Jeff Dowd (that’s the guy who inspired to Coen Brothers character ‘The Dude’ ), and a Duderology quiz (How many times does The dude say “man”? – stuff like that). That’s pretty cool. Universal has not stated when a regular edition will come out, nor have they said if the above packaging will be changed for it.
BluRay special features always get me giddy. I love em. Shoot, it’s the reason I buy the BluRay to begin with! The Big Lebowski does not disappoint when it comes to extras. Yes, these were worth the price of admission. You get:
- Scene Companion: A picture in picture mode that features cast and crew interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and more during key scenes.
- Mark It Dude: On-screen counter that keeps track of all the “F-Bombs”, “Dudes” and “Dude-isms” in the film.
- The Music of The Big Lebowski: Instantly identifies the songs heard while watching the film, and allows the creation of custom playlists.
- Worthy Adversaries- What’s My Line Trivia: Trivia that tests your Lebowski knowledge by finishing lines of dialogue during the film. Play as Walter or The Dude or in two-player mode against friends.
- U-CONTROL – let’s you access special features (making of, behind the scenes, etc) while you are watching the movie itself.
- pocket BLU – you can use your mobile device to interface with your bluray player to access the special features and watch them directly on your mobile device.
- BD-LIVE – this is pretty cool provided your BluRay player is connected to the internet. You can check out updated special features when more are added instead of being stuck with only the ones that came on the bluray disc itself.
- Mobile-To-Go – toss the movie onto your mobile device, ipad, itouch, smartphone, laptop, whatever. Watch The Dude anywhere!
- uHEAR – Hit the pop up menu and click on the uHear button and the movie skips back a few seconds and turns on the subtitles just for the patch of dialogue you missed.